Elementary Certification Teaching Major - Learning Disabilities
As a learning disabilities major, you’ll train to be an educator who works capably and compassionately with students who have intellectual, social or behavioral challenges. Throughout the program, you’ll explore the newest methods for assisting learners with diverse needs, learn to use technology effectively in the 21st-century classroom, and complete multiple field experiences that put you side-by-side with students in local schools.
Plus, this bachelor’s degree comes with a faculty recommendation for the Michigan Elementary Standard Certificate with the Learning Disabilities Endorsement.
A minimum of 30 semester hours from the following:
|EDC 401||Introduction to LD||3|
|EDN 403||Assessment of the Learner||3|
|EDN 401||Strategies for LD||3|
|EDN 402||Socio-vocational Transitions||3|
|PDED 405||Sp Ed Legisltn and Litigation||3|
|EDC 417||Mgmt of Classroom Behavior Also counts in Education Professional Studies||3|
|EDC 240||Psych of Child Development Also counts in Pre-Professional Studies||3|
|EDT 430||Assistive Technology||3|
|EDD 413||LD Elem Directed Teaching||2|
|EDD 420||LD Sec Directed Teaching||2|
|EDN 408||LD Directed Teaching Seminar||2|
|Total Credit Hours||30|
- Minimum GPA's are required for program completion: 2.75 cumulative, 2.75 in major, 2.75 in optional minor(s), and 2.75 in Professional Studies.
- Advising Policy: The student is responsible for complying with requirements described in the Undergraduate Catalog as well as on the Four Phase Checklist. Students are expected to meet with their College of Education, Health, and Human Services advisor at least once per year and in the term prior to graduation.
- Courses taken on a PASS/FAIL basis will NOT be accepted toward program completion.
- The minimum number of semester hours required to graduate is 128.
- CEHHS recommends successful program completers for State of Michigan Certification, however, it is ultimately up to the State of Michigan to issue certificates. Certain offenses on a criminal record can keep individuals from obtaining teacher certification. Please refer to The Revised School Code, Act 451 of 1976, section 380.1539b.
- Students must meet Dearborn Discovery Core requirements. See http://umdearborn.edu/696973/ for details.
The professional sequence of education courses consists of a minimum of 42 semester hours of credit. This concentration of study represents the core of your professional preparation. At least two practicums are required prior to student teaching. The semester hours are distributed as follows:
|EDA 340||Foundations of American Ed||3|
|EXPS 410||Multicult in School and Soc||3|
Not Required for Early Childhood Majors
|EDC 300||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDC 412||Social Devl/Pos Guidnce Techn (required for Early Childhood majors)||3|
|or EDC 417||Mgmt of Classroom Behavior|
|EDC 460||Educating the Exceptional Chld||3|
Not Required for Early Childhood Majors
|Methodologies (See Note #1 below)|
|EDD 452||Methods of Teaching Math K-8||3|
|EDD 468||Teach Read/Lang Arts- Elem Grd 1||3|
|EDD 467||Practicum in Reading Instruct 1||1|
|EDD 471||Reading Instr: Models and Meth 1||3|
|EDD 485||Teach Science in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 491||Soc Std Elem Grades Practicum||1|
|EDD 495||Social Studies in the Elem Grd||3|
|Professional Semester (See Notes #3 & #5 below)|
|EDD 435||Dir Teaching: Elementary Sch||12|
|EDD 437||Sem: Teaching Elementary Grds||1|
|Total Credit Hours||45|
- Enrollment in all the required EDD courses is open only to those who are officially admitted to and in good academic standing in the Teacher Certification Program at UM-Dearborn. See Four-Phase Checklist for more information.
- Eligibility for directed teaching requires meeting all the requirements listed on the Four-Phase Checklist as well as submission of passing scores from the MTTC (Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification) subject area test: Elementary Education (#103).
- Recommendations for other certification endorsements require passing scores from relevant MTTC subject area tests.
- Minimum number of hours to graduate is 128 semester hours.