Middle East Studies
The Middle East Studies Certificate is a credential for students who have studied the history and culture of the Middle East from a variety of disciplinary perspectives. Requiring a minimum of 12 upper level credits after the completion of prerequisites, the MEST Certificate can complement your major or stand alone as a post baccalaureate credential.
|The completion of:|
|HIST 101||The World to 1500 CE||3|
|or HIST 102||Medieval and Renaissance World|
|or HIST 103||The World Since 1500 CE|
|COMP 106||Writing & Rhetoric II||3|
|A minimum of 12 credits required from the following:|
|Group A: Regional and Thematic History- 9 credits from|
|Islamic Movemnts Mid East Hist|
|Women&Islam Mid East to 1900|
|Ottoman Empire in 19th Century|
|Armenia Ancient Medieval World|
|Armenians in the Modern World|
|The Middle East 570 to 1800 CE|
|Modern Middle East, 1918-1945|
|Modern Middle East, 1945-1991|
|Lebanon in Modern Middle East|
|The US in the Middle East|
|Feminism & Mod. Mid. East|
|Culture& Hist. in Mod. Iran|
|Group B: Middle East Courses in Non-History Fields-3 Credits from:|
|Any AAST course that is 300-400 level|
|Anth Persp on the Middle East|
|Higher Intermediate Arabic I|
|Higher Intermediate Arabic II|
|Language of Business|
|Survey of Arabic Literature|
|Arabic Literature and Culture|
|Contemporary Arabic Literature|
|Topics in Arabic|
|Islamic Decorative Arts|
|Economies of the Middle East|
|Intro to Global Cultures|
|Middle East Politics|
NOTES REGARDING MIDDLE EAST STUDIES CERTIFICATE PROGRAM:
- Application to the MEST Certificate Program requires the following: Completion of all pre-requisite courses and ONE course from Group A or B (with a grade of B or better in the Group A or B course).
- Students may replace one course in Group A with a Group B course.
- A minimum 3.0 GPA in the courses counting in the MEST Certificate is required at the time of graduation and/or posting of the certificate.
- At least 6 of the 12 credits for the certificate must be completed at UM-Dearborn.
- All courses must be taken as standard grade mode (no pass/fail mode allowed), with the exception of a maximum of 3 credits of internship/co-op (approved by Petition).
- A maximum of 3 credit of internship or co-op may satisfy a Group B requirement by Petition.
- A maximum of 3 credits may share with major, minor, other certificate program.
- Students may Petition the MEST Chair for use of upper level research based independent study credit.
- Students with upper level credit in any of the following Middle Eastern languages (with a grade of B or higher) from another institution may Petition to apply that credit to satisfy the Group B requirement: Berber, Persian, Kurdish, Hebrew, Urdu, Dari, Pashto, Baluch, Armenian, Azeri Turkish, Turkish, Uzbek, and Tajik. This is not an exhaustive list. Research languages such as French or German may also be considered if the Petition demonstrates applicability to student's program study of the Middle East.
Post-baccalaureate students may apply directly through the standard undergraduate non-degree admissions procedure, meeting the following stipulations:
- Must have a bachelor's degree completed (any field) minimum of 90 credits in a declared major and be in good standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- If pre-requisites have not been met at time of application, provisional admission may be granted with the stipulation that pre-requisites must be completed within two semesters and that no certificate will be granted unless pre-requisites are complete.