International Admission

Application deadlines for students residing outside the U.S.:

For the fall semester July 1
For the winter semester November 1
For the summer semester March 1

Students from other countries are welcome to apply for admission to the University of Michigan-Dearborn. The following documents must be received before an admissions decision can be made:

Application for Undergraduate Admission

  • You may submit your application first, and send additional materials afterwards; however a complete packet with all necessary application components will expedite the admissions decision. All correspondence must be in English, and must contain the full name of the applicant with the family surname underlined.  Applications will not receive a final evaluation until all required materials have been received.
  • If you are already in the U.S. studying on an F-1 or J-1 visa, please indicate F-1 or J-1 on the “Type of Visa” section on the Application for Undergraduate Admission.
  • Students who plan to obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa from abroad for use in entering the U.S. should write “plan to obtain F-1 or J-1 visa” in the “Type of  Visa” section on the Application for Undergraduate Admission.
  • If you are currently in the U.S. as a refugee, asylee, or on a temporary visa other than the F-1 student visa (such as F-2, B-2, H-4, etc.), and you wish to change to F-1 status to begin attending UM-Dearborn, please indicate this on your Application for Undergraduate Admission.

Transcripts from previous high schools or colleges attended


All freshmen must submit official transcripts for all years of secondary school work completed (U.S. and abroad). If your secondary school work has been completed in a country which has national standardized examinations, you must also submit official certificates showing results of these examinations (“O” or “A” levels, Baccalaureate, Standard X and XII, etc.).

Transfer Students

Transfers must have official transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions and Orientation from all post-secondary institutions attended.
Transfer students must provide proof of secondary school completion (diploma, final transcript, leaving certificate, examination certificate, etc.), but are usually not required to provide records from all years of secondary school. However, you must provide complete records if you have attended college for less than one year of full-time study.

Academic Records from outside of the U.S.

Translations are required for all documents and transcripts not originally in English. These translations are the responsibility of the student and must be complete, word-for-word, and in the same format as the original document. You must submit both the original document and the translation to the Office of Admissions and Orientation.
If you have attended high school or a college/university outside the U.S., you must also submit transcripts from all institutions you have attended outside the U.S. to Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) for a course-by-course evaluation (  ECE requires that you submit records from your last year of secondary school along with your college or university records.  The evaluated record(s), translation(s), and original transcript(s) in the native language must be sent to the Office of Admissions and Orientation from the official source.

English Language Proficiency Requirements

If you are not a native speaker of English, you must prove an adequate level of English language proficiency to enroll in college credit courses, even if you are currently a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and regardless of how long you have resided or been educated in the U.S.
You must fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the ways described below before regular admission will be granted.

Freshmen may prove their English Language Proficiency without additional testing by: 

  • completing two full years of general track English courses in a U.S. high school with grades of “C” or better and
  • achieving an acceptable score on the verbal section of the SAT or ACT. There is no specific SAT/ACT verbal score required, but this score will be used in conjunction with other factors to evaluate your academic English skills.

Transfers may prove their English proficiency without additional testing by:

  • presenting acceptable performance as described in the freshmen section above. You must provide records to verify acceptable courses, grades, and SAT/ACT scores, or completing two semesters of regular-track, transferable English composition courses, equivalent to UM-Dearborn’s Composition 105 and 106, with grades of “C” or better in both courses (“C-” or below is not acceptable for transfer). If you are enrolled in the second semester of English composition when applying and earn a “C” or better in the first semester of English Composition, conditional admission may be possible.

If you have not demonstrated English language proficiency in one of the ways described above, you must take an English language proficiency test. The Office of Admissions and Orientation will accept the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Examination. You must take one of these tests; it is not necessary to take all of them.

The minimum score required for admission is dependent on the test you take.  Achieving the minimum score does not guarantee admission, only consideration.

Minimum Scores

TOEFL: Paper-based 550
TOEFL: Computer-based 213
3 TOEFL: Internet-based 80

The TOEFL and IELTS are offered throughout the world. The MELAB is offered in the United States and Canada.  You should take a test well in advance of your intended starting term. TOEFL and MELAB scores arrive at UM-Dearborn 6-8 weeks after the test date. IELTS mails results 13 days after the test date.

You may take the MELAB, TOEFL, or IELTS test more than once, and all scores will be considered. Test scores more than two years old will not be accepted for consideration. For testing information and registration materials, please contact:


Argus 1 Building, 535 West William St, Ste 310

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-4978, U.S.A.

Telephone: 734-615-9629

P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541, U.S.A.
Telephone: 609-771-7600

100 East Corson Street, Suite 200
Pasadena, CA 91103, U.S.A.
Telephone: 626-564-2954

UM-Dearborn offers English as a second language courses. For information, please call the English Language Proficiency Program Office at 313-583-6661. 

Standardized test requirement

All freshmen are required to take a U.S. standardized college entrance examination, regardless of your citizenship/visa status or whether you have attended secondary school in the U.S. or abroad. Transfer students are not required to take this exam if they have earned at least 24 transferable credits.  If for any reason, students are unable to provide a standardized exam result, the student should contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation immediately.

  • The Office of Admissions and Orientation will accept either the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) or the ACT (American College Test). The student should make certain that the test results are forwarded to the UM-Dearborn Office of Admissions and Orientation (SAT code #1861; ACT code #2074). You must take one of these tests (it is not necessary to take both). These tests are available throughout the world, and should be taken well in advance of the intended starting term. SAT and ACT scores take 6-8 weeks after the test date to arrive at UM-Dearborn. You may take the test(s) more than once, and UM-Dearborn will consider your highest composite score.
  • Your score will be used as one factor in the admissions process. If your secondary education has been completed partially or entirely abroad, and if English is not your native language, your individual circumstances will be considered when evaluating your test scores.
  • For students with international backgrounds, the score required for admission in each case will depend on various other factors, such as high school courses and grades, and English proficiency test scores (if required).
  • For information and registration materials for the SAT or ACT, please contact your high school counselor if you are in the U.S., or contact the testing agencies directly if you are currently living abroad:

College Board
P.O. Box 6200
Princeton, NJ  08451, U.S.A
Phone: 866-756-7346

P.O. Box 414
Iowa City, IA  52443, U.S.A.
Phone: 319-337-1270

Academic Requirements for International Admission

This section discusses grade-point average (GPA) and course/curriculum requirements.


Freshmen who have attended secondary school abroad are expected to meet the same general admissions requirements as U.S. students.

  1. You must have earned a U.S. high school diploma or the equivalent secondary school completion credential in your country, by the time you would enroll at UM-Dearborn. Freshmen usually apply during their last year of secondary school. Any offer of admission is conditional upon successful completion of the secondary school program before enrollment at UM-Dearborn.
  2. You must have pursued a general academic (non-vocational) program of study. Solid preparation in the traditional academic college-preparatory subjects is required (English, mathematics, science, social studies).
  3. You must have maintained above-average grades throughout your secondary school studies. Admission is competitive, and to be a strong candidate for admission, grades received should be equivalent to an overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 U.S. scale. If you complete your secondary schooling abroad, please contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation for information on the credential and level of performance which would be acceptable for admission.

Transfer Students

The Office of Admissions and Orientation will evaluate transcripts from all institutions attended as well as ECE or WES evaluations for foreign schools.

General academic requirements for each unit are listed below. You should contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation as early as possible in your academic career to be certain that you are completing courses that will not only transfer, but also count toward specific admission and/or graduation requirements at UM-Dearborn. All GPA requirements are given using the 4.0 U.S. scale.

All transfer applications are reviewed on an individual basis, and if you do not meet the stated requirements for your desired unit, it is suggested that you discuss your situation with an admissions counselor. Call 313-593-5100 to schedule an appointment.

  • College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters
    Required GPA: 2.50
  • College of Business
    Required GPA: 2.70
  • College of Engineering and Computer Science
    Required GPA: 2.75
    Other requirements: Students must also have a 2.75 recalculated math, science, and engineering GPA.
  • College of Education, Health, and Human Services
    Required GPA: 2.75*

*Several select programs within CEHHS have a 2.50 GPA requirement. Contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation for more details.

How to obtain I-20 or DS-2019

Please reference the Office of International Affairs website at All documents received by the Office of Admissions and Orientation will be shared with the Office of International Affairs for the purpose of creating the I-20 or DS-2019.

​Effective July 1 2017, the University will use an express delivery service, via University Express Mail Services (UEMS) eShipGlobal, to send Form I-20 or DS-2019 to admitted international students and any students who would like to request Form I-20 or DS-2019.  This safe, quick, and dependable delivery service allows you to pay for, track, and receive your documents. 

You will need:

  • UMID Student ID (8 digit number), if available
  • Your mailing address
    • You may request shipment either to your foreign address, or to a U.S. address.
    • If your requested documents will be sent to a U.S. contact address, please include the name of the person who lives at that address
  • Your email address
  • Your phone number
  • Your credit card information (Visa, Mastercard or Discover cards only).  The cost of this service will vary by country, ranging between $45 and $95 USD. 

The Office of International Affairs (OIA) will receive notification that you have paid for your documents to be sent by express mail and this will trigger next steps.

If you are near Dearborn, arrangements can be made to pick up your immigration documents directly from OIA

Using Express Mail (eShipGlobal)

The UEMS website works best with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers. Do not go through other shipping sites like DHL, FedEx or UPS directly.  All communication will go through the UEMS eShipGlobal service.  

If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, please use the eShipGlobal/UEMS “Help” link for step by step instructions. If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please review their Frequently Asked Questions or e-mail

Requesting Documents

Register and activate your account at University Express Mail Services. Registration and activation of your account is free. 

Download printable instructions.

  1. Once logged in, click the “Receive documents from your University” option.
  2. Type “University of Michigan-Dearborn” in the search box, or select it from the drop down list.
  3. Once “University of Michigan-Dearborn” has been selected, click "Continue."
  4. Select the specific university department “Office of International Affairs” and then "Continue."
  5. Complete the shipping form, using your student ID, and select "Ship/Quote."

Note:  PO Box addresses are generally not preferred by express carriers. If entering a PO Box address, be sure to provide the complete physical address where the PO Box is located in order to avoid delays or failed shipment.

  1. On the confirmation page, check your shipment details.
  2. On the same page, complete the credit card information form.
  3. Select "Confirm" to advance to the shipment summary page.
  4. UM-Dearborn will automatically be notified by University Express Mail Services (eShipGlobal) that you have requested your documents via express mail. You can track the shipment using the tracking number provided.
  5. Receive your documents in 3-5 business days from the date of mailing.
  6. Students will receive:
  7. A notification from the OIA stating the student’s I-20 or DS-2019 has been processed.
  8. Email confirmation from eShipGlobal that their packet has left the university and is on the way.

Note: Any delays or non-receipt of packets should be directed to  The OIA does not receive any shipping information once the packet is picked-up from the office.