Actuarial Mathematics is an interdisciplinary subject that straddles business, economics, mathematics, and statistics. In a single phrase its focus is on the management of risk. The curriculum of this program is designed to support students in becoming an Associate of the Society of Actuaries (SOA). Three of these requirements are pairs of courses that satisfy the Validation by Educational Experience (VEE) requirement of the Society. The balance of the coursework is in support of passing the SOA’s exams: Probability, Financial Mathematics, and Investment & Financial Markets.
In addition to the major requirements, students must complete all CASL Degree Requirements.
Not counted in the 37 credit hours required for the major.
|ACC 298||Financial Accounting||3|
|CIS 1501||CS I for Data Scientists||4|
|ECON 201||Prin: Macroeconomics||3|
|ECON 202||Prin: Microeconomics||3|
|MATH 115||Calculus I||4|
|MATH 116||Calculus II||4|
|MATH 215||Calculus III||4|
37 credit hours upper level.
|Mathematics of Interest Theory|
|Mathematics of Finance|
|Applied Statistics Core||13|
|Intro. to Data Science|
|Applied Statistics I|
|Applied Regression Analysis|
|Multivariate Stat Analysis|
|Advanced Corporate Finance|
|Beh Econ for Business & Policy|
|Introduction to Econometrics|
|Advanced Calculus I|
|Advanced Calculus II|
|Intro to Numerical Analysis|
|Mktg Principles and Policies|
|Behavior in Organization|
|Time Series Analysis|
|Total Credit Hours||37|
- At least 18 of the 37 upper level credit hours must be elected at UM-Dearborn.
- Students are strongly recommended to complete at least one Experiential Education experience, co-op or internship before graduation.
- Students wishing to use graduate level courses (STAT 500+, MATH 500+) as a part of the 34 hours required for the major must submit a petition to obtain the approval of the Actuarial Studies faculty advisor prior to registering for the class.
- Students not enrolled in the College of Business BBA Program cannot elect more than 30 upper-level (courses numbered 300 and above) credit hours offered by the College of Business.
- A minimum 2.0 GPA in the major is required for graduation.