|COMP 105||Writing & Rhetoric I||3|
|EXPS 298||Exp Writing-Comm Learn&Tch||3|
|LIBR 465||Literature for Children||3|
|LING 280||Introduction to Linguistics||3|
|EXPS 282||History & Civics Elem Schools||3|
|EXPS 283||Geography & Econ Elem Schools||3|
|EXPS 220||Science in the Elem School||3|
|NSCI 231||Inquiry: Physical Science||3|
|NSCI 232||Inquiry:Earth/Planet Science||3|
|NSCI 233||Inquiry: Life Science||3|
|MATH 385||Math for Elemen Teachers I||3|
|MATH 386||Math for Elem Teachers II||3|
|MATH 387||Math for Elem Teachers III||3|
|Supplementary Content Requirements|
|EDA 419||Early Literacy/Language Devel||3|
|EDF 450||Hlth, Nutr, & PE/Clsrm Tchrs||2|
|EXPS 250||Elem Ed Vis & Perf Arts||3|
|EDA 205||Introduction to Education||3|
|EDC 241||Psych: Child Devel Practicum||1|
|EDT 211||Design Tech-Based Learn Solutn||3|
|Select 3 credit hours from DDC Upper Level Writing (EDC 442, EXPS 420 or ENGL 327 recommended)||3|
|Total Credit Hours||57|
Dearborn Discovery Core Requirement
The minimum GPA for the program is 2.0. In addition, the DDC permits any approved course to satisfy up to three credit hours within three different categories. Please see the General Education Program: The Dearborn Discovery Core section for additional information.
Areas of Inquiry
- Lecture/Lab Science Course
- Additional Science Course
A minimum of 30 semester hours from the following:
|EDC 401||Introduction to LD||3|
|EDN 403||Assessment of the Learner||3|
|EDN 404||Assessment Practicum||1|
|EDN 401||Strategies for LD||3|
|EDN 402||Socio-vocational Transitions||3|
|PDED 405||Sp Ed Legisltn and Litigation||3|
|EDC 417||Mgmt of Classroom Behavior||3|
|EDC 240||Psych of Child Development||3|
|EDT 430||Assistive Technology||3|
|EDD 413||LD Elem Directed Teaching||2|
|EDD 420||LD Sec Directed Teaching||2|
|EDN 408||LD Directed Teaching Seminar||2|
|Total Credit Hours||31|
- All College of Education, Health, and Human Services undergraduate students are required to take the Composition Placement Test by the end of the first semester they are enrolled in classes.
- Students transferring in COMP 105 or COMP 106, but receiving the prescription of 099 from the Composition Placement Test, must complete COMP 227 before taking EDD courses.
- Minimum GPA's are required for program completion: 2.75 cumulative, 2.75 in major, 2.75 in optional minor(s), and 2.75 in Professional Studies.
- For admission to Phase III of the teacher certification program, passing scores on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (passing score of 480) and in Mathematics (passing score 530) are required. The SAT must have been passed on or after March 5, 2016.
- Advising Policy: The student is responsible for complying with requirements described in the Undergraduate Catalog as well as on the Four Phase Checklist. Students are expected to meet with their College of Education, Health, and Human Services advisor at least once per year and in the term prior to graduation.
- Courses taken on a PASS/FAIL basis will NOT be accepted toward program completion.
- The minimum number of semester hours required to graduate is 128.
- CEHHS recommends successful program completers for State of Michigan Certification, however, it is ultimately up to the State of Michigan to issue certificates. Certain offenses on a criminal record can keep individuals from obtaining teacher certification. Please refer to The Revised School Code, Act 451 of 1976, section 380.1539b.
- Students must meet Dearborn Discovery Core requirements. See http://umdearborn.edu/696973/ for details.
The professional sequence of education courses consists of a minimum of 42 semester hours of credit. This concentration of study represents the core of your professional preparation. At least two practicums are required prior to student teaching. The semester hours are distributed as follows:
|EDA 340||Foundations of American Ed (Multicultural Education)||3|
|EXPS 410||Multicult in School and Soc||3|
|EDC 300||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDC 460||Educating the Exceptional Chld||3|
|Methodologies (See Note #1 below)|
|EDD 452||Methods of Teaching Math K-8||3|
|EDD 468||Teach Read/Lang Arts- Elem Grd 1||3|
|EDD 467||Practicum in Reading Instruct 1||1|
|EDD 471||Reading Instr: Models and Meth 1||3|
|EDD 485||Teach Science in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 495||Social Studies in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 491||Soc Std Elem Grades Practicum||1|
|Professional Semester (See Notes #3 & #5 below)|
|EDD 435||Dir Teaching: Elementary Sch||12|
|EDD 437||Sem: Teaching Elementary Grds||1|
|Total Credit Hours||42|
- Enrollment in all the required EDD courses is open only to those who are officially admitted to and in good academic standing in the Teacher Certification Program at UM-Dearborn. See Four-Phase Checklist for more information.
- Eligibility for directed teaching requires meeting all the requirements listed on the Four-Phase Checklist as well as submission of passing scores from the MTTC (Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification) subject area test: Elementary Education (#103).
- Recommendations for other certification endorsements require passing scores from relevant MTTC subject area tests.
- Minimum number of hours to graduate is 128 semester hours.