Dearborn Discovery Core Requirement
The minimum passing grade for a Dearborn Discovery Core (DDC) course is 2.0. The minimum GPA for the program is 2.0. In addition, the DDC permits any approved course to satisfy up to three credit hours within three different categories. Please see the General Education Program: The Dearborn Discovery Core section for additional information.
Written and Oral Communication (GEWO) – 6 Credits
Upper Level Writing Intensive (GEWI) – 3 Credits
Quantitative Thinking and Problem Solving (GEQT) – 3 Credits
Critical and Creative Thinking (GECC) – 3 Credits
Areas of Inquiry
Natural Science (GENS) – 7 Credits
- Lecture/Lab Science Course
- Additional Science Course
Social and Behavioral Analysis (GESB) – 9 Credits
Humanities and the Arts (GEHA) – 6 Credits
Intersections (GEIN) – 6 Credits
Capstone (GECE) – 3 Credits
A minimum of 30 semester hours from the following:
|EDC 401||Introduction to LD 1||3|
|EDN 403||Assessment of the Learner 1||3|
|EDN 404||Assessment Practicum 1||1|
|EDN 401||Strategies for LD 1||3|
|EDN 402||Socio-vocational Transitions 1||3|
|PDED 405||Sp Ed Legisltn and Litigation||3|
|EDC 417||Mgmt of Classroom Behavior||3|
|EDC 240||Psych of Child Development||3|
|EDN 406||Collaboration in the Classroom||3|
|EDD 413||LD Elem Directed Teaching||2|
|EDD 420||LD Sec Directed Teaching||2|
|EDN 408||LD Directed Teaching Seminar||2|
|Total Credit Hours||31|
The professional sequence of education courses consists of a minimum of 42 semester hours of credit. This concentration of study represents the core of your professional preparation. At least two practicums are required prior to student teaching. The semester hours are distributed as follows:
|EDA 340||Foundations of American Ed||3|
|EDC 300||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDC 460||Educating the Exceptional Chld||3|
|EDD 452||Methods of Teaching Math K-8||3|
|EDD 468||Teach Read/Lang Arts- Elem Grd 1||3|
|EDD 467||Practicum in Reading Instruct 1||1|
|EDD 471||Reading Instr: Models and Meth 1||3|
|EDD 485||Teach Science in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 495||Social Studies in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 491||Soc Std Elem Grades Practicum||1|
|EDD 435||Dir Teaching: Elementary Sch||12|
|EDD 437||Sem: Teaching Elementary Grds||1|
|Total Credit Hours||39|
- Enrollment in all the required EDD courses is open only to those who are officially enrolled and in good academic standing in a certification program at UM-Dearborn (junior standing required) with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- A UM-Dearborn cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better is required overall for the Professional Sequence.
- Passing the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination is required.
- Eligibility for directed teaching requires passing scores from the MTTC (Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification) subject area test: Elementary certification (elementary education), Secondary certification (major and minor tests).
- Recommendations for other certification endorsements require passing scores from relevant MTTC subject area tests.