Early Childhood Education
The Early Childhood Education Program is designed for those intending to work with children, birth through eight years of age. Within the basic elementary education degree curriculum, it enables students to meet State requirements for a Michigan Provisional Elementary Teacher's Certificate and the Early Childhood Endorsement (ZS) as well as to gain special competencies in the area of early childhood. It prepares individuals for careers in childcare centers, working with young children and their families, birth through kindergarten, as well as in the elementary grades 1-5. The program includes a concentrated study of the young child in infant/toddler, preschool, and early school contexts with extensive opportunities for field experiences in a variety of settings.
The requirements of the Early Childhood Education Program for undergraduates are as follows:
Early Childhood and Elementary Certification
|COMP 105||Writing & Rhetoric I||3|
|COMP 106||Writing & Rhetoric II||3|
|ENGL 327||Advanced Exposition||3|
|LIBR 465||Literature for Children||3|
|EXPS 282||History & Civics Elem Schools||3|
|EXPS 283||Geography & Econ Elem Schools||3|
|EXPS 220||Science in the Elem School||3|
|NSCI 231||Inquiry: Physical Science||3|
|NSCI 232||Inquiry:Earth/Planet Science||3|
|NSCI 233||Inquiry: Life Science||3|
|MATH 385||Math for Elemen Teachers I||3|
|MATH 386||Math for Elem Teachers II||3|
|Supplementary Content Requirements|
|EDA 419||Early Literacy/Language Devel||3|
|EDF 450||Hlth, Nutr, & PE/Clsrm Tchrs||2|
|EXPS 250||Elem Ed Vis & Perf Arts||3|
|EXPS 407||Inquiry-based Math and Science||3|
|EDA 205||Introduction to Education||3|
|EDC 240||Psych of Child Development||3|
|EDC 241||Psych: Child Devel Practicum||1|
|EDT 211||Design Tech-Based Learn Solutn||3|
|Total Credit Hours||57|
Dearborn Discovery Core Requirement
The minimum passing grade for a Dearborn Discovery Core (DDC) course is 2.0. The minimum GPA for the program is 2.0. In addition, the DDC permits any approved course to satisfy up to three credit hours within three different categories. Please see the General Education Program: The Dearborn Discovery Core section for additional information.
Areas of Inquiry
- Lecture/Lab Science Course
- Additional Science Course
- The Campus Composition Placement Test (CCPT) is required of all students, i.e., UM-Dearborn undergraduates and transfer students. Transfer students who have been given credit for COMP 105 and COMP 106 but receive a prescription from the CCPE for COMP 099 must enroll in an additional composition course (COMP 227). This test must be taken within the first semester that a student is enrolled in class.
- Application to the College of Education, Health, and Human Services Certification Program is required of all students. The timing of this application is detailed on the four-phase checklist.
- The MTTC (Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification) Professional Readiness Examination must be taken and scores must be at the state-approved level or alternative scoring measures for admission.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale is required overall, in the major, in the minor(s), and in the professional sequence courses.
- All requirements as identified in the College’s four-phase screening program must be met for a teaching certificate recommendation. (See four-phase checklist.)
- Minimum number of hours to graduate is 128 credit hours.
Early Childhood Major Requirements
A minimum of 34 semester hours from the following:
|EDB 422||Lead,Advoc, Admin Early Ch Prg||3|
|EDC 414||Early Child Ed Special Needs||3|
|EDC 442||EC: Fam/Sch/Comm Collaboration||3|
|EDC 445||Develop Assess of Young Child||3|
|EDD 406||Teach Strategies Early Child||3|
|EDD 410||Practicum in Early Child Ed||1|
|EDD 411||Directed Tchg: Early Childhood||4|
|EDD 412||Seminar in Early Childhood Ed||2|
|EDC 431||Constructivist Education||3|
|EDC 440||The Child: Birth to Three||3|
|EDD 446||Intervention Strat EC Spec Ed||3|
|EDC 446||Cog/Memory Dev in Children||3|
|or EDD 416||Creativty/Crit Thnk Yng Childr|
|Total Credit Hours||34|
- With the approval of the Early Childhood Program Coordinator, a maximum of six credit hours of freshman and sophomore level transfer courses in early childhood will be considered for general credit toward the early childhood major.
- An overall GPA of 2.75 or better is required for the major.
- At least 15 semester hours in UM-Dearborn courses required for a major.
- A grade of S is required in EDD 411.
Early Childhood and Elementary Certification-Professional Sequence
The professional sequence of early childhood elementary education courses consists of:
|EDA 340||Foundations of American Ed||3|
|EDC 300||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDC 412||Social Devl/Pos Guidnce Techn||3|
|Methodologies (See Note #1 below)|
|EDD 452||Methods of Teaching Math K-8||3|
|EDD 468||Teach Read/Lang Arts- Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 467||Practicum in Reading Instruct 1||1|
|EDD 471||Reading Instr: Models and Meth 1||3|
|EDD 485||Teach Science in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 495||Social Studies in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 491||Soc Std Elem Grades Practicum||1|
|Professional Semester (See Notes #3 & #5 below)|
|EDD 435||Dir Teaching: Elementary Sch||11|
|EDD 437||Sem: Teaching Elementary Grds||1|
|Total Credit Hours||38|
EDD 468 is a prerequisite for these courses.
- Enrollment in all the required EDD courses is open only to those who are officially enrolled and in good academic standing in a certification program at UM-Dearborn.
- A GPA of 2.75 or better is required overall for the Professional Sequence.
- A grade of S is required in EDD 411. Also required is one full term of study at UM-Dearborn (12 semester hours). Election of EDF 450 is required prior to directed teaching.
- Eligibility for directed teaching requires acceptable scores from the MTTC Subject Area Test, “Elementary Education.”
- Recommendations for all other certification endorsements including major(s)/minor(s) require acceptable scores from relevant MTTC subject area tests.