Early Childhood Education
The Early Childhood Education Program is designed for those intending to work with children, birth through eight years of age. Within the basic elementary education degree curriculum, it enables students to meet State requirements for a Michigan Provisional Elementary Teacher's Certificate and the Early Childhood Endorsement (ZS) as well as to gain special competencies in the area of early childhood. It prepares individuals for careers in childcare centers, working with young children and their families, birth through kindergarten, as well as in the elementary grades 1-5. The program includes a concentrated study of the young child in infant/toddler, preschool, and early school contexts with extensive opportunities for field experiences in a variety of settings.
The requirements of the Early Childhood Education Program for undergraduates are as follows:
Early Childhood and Elementary Certification
|COMP 105||Writing & Rhetoric I||3|
|EXPS 298||Exp Writing-Comm Learn&Tch||3|
|LIBR 465||Literature for Children||3|
|LING 280||Introduction to Linguistics||3|
|EXPS 282||History & Civics Elem Schools||3|
|EXPS 283||Geography & Econ Elem Schools||3|
|EXPS 220||Science in the Elem School||3|
|NSCI 231||Inquiry: Physical Science||3|
|NSCI 232||Inquiry:Earth/Planet Science||3|
|NSCI 233||Inquiry: Life Science||3|
|MATH 385||Math for Elemen Teachers I||3|
|MATH 386||Math for Elem Teachers II||3|
|Supplementary Content Requirements|
|EDA 419||Early Literacy/Language Devel||3|
|EDF 450||Hlth, Nutr, & PE/Clsrm Tchrs||2|
|EXPS 250||Elem Ed Vis & Perf Arts||3|
|EXPS 407||Inquiry-based Math and Science||3|
|EDA 205||Introduction to Education||3|
|EDC 240||Psych of Child Development||3|
|EDC 241||Psych: Child Devel Practicum||1|
|EDT 211||Design Tech-Based Learn Solutn||3|
|Total Credit Hours||57|
Dearborn Discovery Core Requirement
The minimum passing grade for a Dearborn Discovery Core (DDC) course is 2.0. The minimum GPA for the program is 2.0. In addition, the DDC permits any approved course to satisfy up to three credit hours within three different categories. Please see the General Education Program: The Dearborn Discovery Core section for additional information.
Areas of Inquiry
- Lecture/Lab Science Course
- Additional Science Course
Early Childhood Major Requirements
A minimum of 34 semester hours from the following:
|EDB 422||Lead,Advoc, Admin Early Ch Prg||3|
|EDC 414||Early Child Ed Special Needs||3|
|EDC 442||EC: Fam/Sch/Comm Collaboration||3|
|EDC 445||Develop Assess of Young Child||3|
|EDD 406||Teach Strategies Early Child||3|
|EDD 410||Practicum in Early Child Ed||1|
|EDD 411||Directed Tchg: Early Childhood||4|
|EDD 412||Seminar in Early Childhood Ed||2|
|EDC 431||Constructivist Education||3|
|EDC 440||The Child: Birth to Three||3|
|EDD 446||Intervention Strat EC Spec Ed||3|
|EDC 446||Cog/Memory Dev in Children||3|
|Total Credit Hours||34|
- With the approval of the Early Childhood Program Coordinator, a maximum of six credit hours of freshman and sophomore level transfer courses in early childhood will be considered for general credit toward the early childhood major.
- An overall GPA of 2.75 or better is required for the major.
- At least 15 semester hours in UM-Dearborn courses required for a major.
- A grade of S is required in EDD 411.
- All College of Education, Health, and Human Services undergraduate students are required to take the Composition Placement Test by the end of the first semester they are enrolled in classes.
- Students transferring in COMP 105 or COMP 106, but receiving the prescription of 099 from the Composition Placement Test, must complete COMP 227 before taking EDD courses.
- Minimum GPA's are required for program completion: 2.75 cumulative, 2.75 in major, 2.75 in optional minor(s), and 2.75 in Professional Studies.
- For admission to Phase III of the teacher certification program, passing scores on all three sections of the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination and/or State of Michigan-approved PRE alternative measures (if taken prior to September 23, 2017), or the Scholastic Aptitude Test benchmarks of 480 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and 530 in Mathematics are required.
- Advising Policy: The student is responsible for complying with requirements described in the Undergraduate Catalog as well as on the Four Phase Checklist. Students are expected to meet with their College of Education, Health, and Human Services advisor at least once per year and in the term prior to graduation.
- Courses taken on a PASS/FAIL basis will NOT be accepted toward program completion.
- The minimum number of semester hours required to graduate is 128.
- CEHHS recommends successful program completers for State of Michigan Certification, however, it is ultimately up to the State of Michigan to issue certificates. Certain offenses on a criminal record can keep individuals from obtaining teacher certification. Please refer to The Revised School Code, Act 451 of 1976, section 380.1539b.
- Students must meet Dearborn Discovery Core requirements. See http://umdearborn.edu/696973/ for details.
Early Childhood and Elementary Certification-Professional Sequence
The professional sequence of early childhood elementary education courses consists of:
|EDA 340||Foundations of American Ed||3|
|EDC 300||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDC 412||Social Devl/Pos Guidnce Techn||3|
|Methodologies (See Note #1 below)|
|EDD 452||Methods of Teaching Math K-8||3|
|EDD 468||Teach Read/Lang Arts- Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 467||Practicum in Reading Instruct 1||1|
|EDD 471||Reading Instr: Models and Meth 1||3|
|EDD 485||Teach Science in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 495||Social Studies in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 491||Soc Std Elem Grades Practicum||1|
|Professional Semester (See Notes #3 & #5 below)|
|EDD 435||Dir Teaching: Elementary Sch||11|
|EDD 437||Sem: Teaching Elementary Grds||1|
|Total Credit Hours||38|
EDD 468 is a prerequisite for these courses.
- Enrollment in all the required EDD courses is open only to those who are officially admitted to and in good academic standing in the Teacher Certification Program at UM-Dearborn. See Four-Phase Checklist for more information.
- Eligibility for directed teaching requires meeting all the requirements listed on the Four-Phase Checklist as well as submission of passing scores from the MTTC (Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification) subject area test: Elementary Education (#103).
- Recommendations for other certification endorsements require passing scores from relevant MTTC subject area tests.
- Minimum number of hours to graduate is 128 semester hours.