Elementary Certification Teaching Major - Early Childhood
The Early Childhood Education Program is designed for those intending to work with children, birth through eight years of age. Within the basic elementary education degree curriculum, it enables students to meet State requirements for a Michigan Elementary Standard Teaching Certificate and the Early Childhood Endorsement (ZS) as well as to gain special competencies in the area of early childhood. It prepares individuals for careers in childcare centers, working with young children and their families, birth through kindergarten, as well as in the elementary grades 1-5. The program includes a concentrated study of the young child in infant/toddler, preschool, and early school contexts with extensive opportunities for field experiences in a variety of settings.
A minimum of 34 semester hours from the following:
|EDC 414||Early Child Ed Special Needs||3|
|EDC 439||Child Maltreatment and Trauma||3|
|EDC 442||EC: Fam/Sch/Comm Collaboration||3|
|EDC 445||Develop Assess of Young Child||3|
|EDD 406||Teach Strategies Early Child||3|
|EDD 410||Practicum in Early Child Ed||1|
|EDD 411||Directed Tchg: Early Childhood||4|
|EDD 412||Seminar in Early Childhood Ed||2|
|EDC 431||Constructivist Education||3|
|EDC 440||The Child: Birth to Three||3|
|EDD 446||Intervention Strat EC Spec Ed||3|
|EDC 446||Cog/Memory Dev in Children||3|
|Total Credit Hours||34|
- With the approval of the Early Childhood Program Coordinator, a maximum of six credit hours of freshman and sophomore level transfer courses in early childhood will be considered for general credit toward the early childhood major.
- An overall GPA of 2.75 or better is required for the major.
- At least 15 semester hours in UM-Dearborn courses required for a major.
- A grade of S is required in EDD 411.
- Minimum GPA's are required for program completion: 2.75 cumulative, 2.75 in major, 2.75 in optional minor(s), and 2.75 in Professional Studies.
- Advising Policy: The student is responsible for complying with requirements described in the Undergraduate Catalog as well as on the Four Phase Checklist. Students are expected to meet with their College of Education, Health, and Human Services advisor at least once per year and in the term prior to graduation.
- Courses taken on a PASS/FAIL basis will NOT be accepted toward program completion.
- The minimum number of semester hours required to graduate is 128.
- CEHHS recommends successful program completers for State of Michigan Certification, however, it is ultimately up to the State of Michigan to issue certificates. Certain offenses on a criminal record can keep individuals from obtaining teacher certification. Please refer to The Revised School Code, Act 451 of 1976, section 380.1539b.
- Students must meet Dearborn Discovery Core requirements. See http://umdearborn.edu/696973/ for details.
The professional sequence of education courses consists of a minimum of 42 semester hours of credit. This concentration of study represents the core of your professional preparation. At least two practicums are required prior to student teaching. The semester hours are distributed as follows:
|EDA 340||Foundations of American Ed||3|
|EXPS 410||Multicult in School and Soc||3|
Not Required for Early Childhood Majors
|EDC 300||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDC 412||Social Devl/Pos Guidnce Techn (required for Early Childhood majors)||3|
|or EDC 417||Mgmt of Classroom Behavior|
|EDC 460||Educating the Exceptional Chld||3|
Not Required for Early Childhood Majors
|Methodologies (See Note #1 below)|
|EDD 452||Methods of Teaching Math K-8||3|
|EDD 468||Teach Read/Lang Arts- Elem Grd 1||3|
|EDD 467||Practicum in Reading Instruct 1||1|
|EDD 471||Reading Instr: Models and Meth 1||3|
|EDD 485||Teach Science in the Elem Grd||3|
|EDD 491||Soc Std Elem Grades Practicum||1|
|EDD 495||Social Studies in the Elem Grd||3|
|Professional Semester (See Notes #3 & #5 below)|
|EDD 435||Dir Teaching: Elementary Sch||12|
|EDD 437||Sem: Teaching Elementary Grds||1|
|Total Credit Hours||45|
- Enrollment in all the required EDD courses is open only to those who are officially admitted to and in good academic standing in the Teacher Certification Program at UM-Dearborn. See Four-Phase Checklist for more information.
- Eligibility for directed teaching requires meeting all the requirements listed on the Four-Phase Checklist as well as submission of passing scores from the MTTC (Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification) subject area test: Elementary Education (#103).
- Recommendations for other certification endorsements require passing scores from relevant MTTC subject area tests.
- Minimum number of hours to graduate is 128 semester hours.