Elementary Certification Teaching Minor - English as a Second Language
This course of study is designed to meet the State of Michigan requirements for teacher certification in English as a Second Language (ESL). To obtain this endorsement, students must pass the certification test in this area, and obtain a Michigan teaching certificate
Students must demonstrate experience in learning a modern second language or coursework in a modern second language or permission of Program Coordinator or take one semester course in a modern language.
A minimum of 21 semester hours from the following:
|EDD 447||Tchng English as Second Lang||3|
|EDD 448||Pract: Tchng Engl Secnd Lang||1|
|EDC 455||Assmt: Sec Lang Learning K-12||2|
|EDC 490||Litrcy Instr & Assess for Els||3|
|LING 474||Second Lang Acquisition: Engl||3|
|LING 480||Concepts in Linguistics||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Language and Society|
|Modern English Grammar|
|History of the English Lang|
|Total Credit Hours||21|
- LING 480 or LING 280 is a pre-requisite for LING 461/ENGL 461, LING 561/ENGL 561, LING 482/ENGL 482, LING 582/ENGL 582, LING 484/ LING 584/ENGL 584, LING 474/LING 574 and LING 476/LING 576.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 is required for a minor.
- Advising Policy: The student is responsible for complying with requirements described in the Undergraduate Catalog as well as on the Four Phase Checklist. Students are expected to meet with their College of Education, Health, and Human Services advisor at least once a year and in the term prior to graduation.
- Courses taken on a PASS/FAIL basis will NOT be accepted toward program completion.
- In order to be recommended for endorsements, students must pass the appropriate MTTC exam in addition to completing the coursework.
- MTTC test scores must be reported by electronic delivery or direct mail from Pearson Evaluation Systems to the University of Michigan-Dearborn College of Education, Health, and Human Services. No hand carried scores will be accepted.