Transfer Student Admission

Admission Requirements

The requirements for admission to UM-Dearborn depend upon the particular program of study to be followed. Admission is based on preparation, ability, and probability of success. All applicants should be in good standing and eligible to return to their previous institution.

Each of the four academic colleges of the University has its own GPA admission criteria:

CASL 2.50
COB 2.70
CECS 2.75
Teacher Certification Programs 2.75
Non-Teacher Certification Programs 2.50

Information provided on the  Undergraduate Admission Application must be accurate and complete. Falsification or omission of information or credentials may result in the revocation of admission.

Admission Procedure

Prospective transfer students are required to submit an application for admission and a transcript from each college or university previously attended. Although unofficial transcripts may be used for admission, an official transcript is required to register for future semesters at the University of Michigan-Dearborn and a hold is placed on a student's account until final/official transcript(s) are received. To be considered official, transcripts must come directly from the previous college/university to UM-Dearborn’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Failure to list all schools attended on the application may result in revocation of admission.

The prospective student is responsible for contacting each previous school attended to request that official transcripts be sent. While all transcripts are required for admission, only courses taken at an accredited college or university will be considered for transfer to the University of Michigan-Dearborn. UM-Dearborn uses the Transfer Credit Practices published by the American Association for Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers (AACRAO) as a guideline to determine transferability of courses based on accreditation status and other criteria. A list of accredited U.S. and Canadian colleges and universities can be obtained from the U.S. Department of Education website at

It is free and easy to apply online and students can check the application status online. 

When the application and all official transcripts have been received, they will be reviewed and the student will be notified regarding admission status.

Transfer students with less than 24 credit hours will be required to submit final official high school transcripts.

Admission granted while the student is enrolled at another institution is conditional and will become final only when the student meets the conditions set forth in the conditional admission letter and upon receipt by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions of the final official transcript from the student's former institution(s). It is the student's responsibility to see that the final transcript is provided following the completion of all courses. Students will not be allowed to register for subsequent terms until the final official transcript has been received.

Official corrections made to transcripts by previous schools, whether high schools, colleges, or universities, must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions within six months of the first day of classes of the term of admission.

Transfer of Credits

Students transferring to UM-Dearborn from other two- or four-year institutions can use one or more of these resources below to ensure maximum number of transfer credits.

Course Transfer System

The Course Transfer System (CTS) is a valuable resource. While it is not an official credit evaluation, the CTS can serve you in determining the transferability of courses from an accredited community college or four-year school.  The information is always current and reflects courses that potentially transfer to UM-Dearborn, but does not necessarily indicate if or how these courses will be used toward your particular degree program.

Transfer Guides

Our Transfer Guides from select community colleges in Michigan outline courses that can be applied to specific majors. To view transfer guides by academic college for community colleges, visit the Transfer Hubs (see below).

Transfer Hubs

Students transferring to UM-Dearborn from a community college located in the metropolitan southeastern Michigan area should check out the customized Transfer Hub websites for each of the community colleges.

Transfer Equivalency Information

Prior to enrollment, a transfer student will receive access to our Degree Works system. Degree Works is a web-based degree audit tool that allows students to view their transfer and exam credit (if applicable). It outlines the requirements of students expected degree and shows which requirements are met by their transfer credit and which requirements remain. This initial access is a provisional degree audit and may change prior to enrollment.  Students meet with academic advisors at Orientation who explain total credit applied, which requirements are met, and which requirements are remaining. The number of hours that apply to a particular program will determine the number of additional UM-Dearborn hours necessary for degree completion.

Maximum Transferable Credits

Previously Attended Institutions Maximum Transferable Credit
2Y (only) 62
4Y (only) 75
2Y & 4Y 75 (62 from 2Y, 75 total)
UM (only) 90
2Y & UM 90 (62 from 2Y, 90 total)
4Y & UM 90 (75 from 4Y, 90 total)
2Y, 4Y & UM 90 (62 from 2Y, 75 from 2Y+4Y, 90 total)

2Y = 2 year institution
4Y = 4 year institution
UM = University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Flint, or Dearborn

Michigan Transfer Agreement

In the spring of 2014, UM-Dearborn signed the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) to participate as a receiving institution. The program permits transfer students to complete the 30-credit hour MTA at a Michigan community college and transfer it as a block to satisfy most of the general education requirements at Michigan universities.

Students transferring to UM-Dearborn who want to take advantage of the MTA must have the “Michigan Transfer Agreement Satisfied” designation posted on their transcript. An Associate’s degree is not required to use MTA. Students planning for transfer to UM-Dearborn are strongly encouraged to check with their community college to determine what courses are approved for inclusion in the above MTA categories and to learn the details for obtaining an MTA endorsement on their transcript. During the planning and course selection process at the community college, students are encouraged to refer to UM-Dearborn transfer guides to determine which MTA courses would be the best fit in their intended program. Community colleges will have a website for detailed information including approved courses for completing the MTA. Additional information can be found on the MTA webpage.

Mi Transfer Pathways

The University of Michigan-Dearborn is participating in MiTransfer Pathways, a statewide initiative among Michigan colleges and universities. MiTransfer Pathways aims to make the transfer experience more efficient and easy to navigate, while enabling students to optimize credit transfer.

Designed as a way to encourage and simplify degree completion, pathways courses will apply to both an associate's degree at a community college and a bachelor's degree at a university. Completion of the MTA is also recommended.  Visit our webpage to get additional information about MiTransfer Pathways.