Voluntary University Withdraw Policy

University withdrawal is the formal process of leaving the university. Undergraduate students may choose to leave the institution for various reasons, including transferring to another school, relocating, or other personal situations.

Dropping all classes or withdrawing from all classes in a term is not the same as a university withdrawal. Please see information on Withdrawing from the Term.

Students who initiate a university withdrawal will no longer be UM-Dearborn students. The student's academic responsibility with the university will be discontinued, though it does not excuse the student from any financial responsibilities incurred with the university. Further, the student will no longer have access to the resources of a student including, but not limited to:

  • University email access
  • Library access
  • Use of Counseling and Psychological Services
  • Wellness Center
  • Student Portal

If deactivation is requested in a semester the student is enrolled, deactivation goes into effect at the beginning of the subsequent semester (e.g., a student who requests deactivation in Fall will be deactivated in Winter). For students who are not enrolled for courses when deactivation is requested, the deactivation is immediate.

Should the student desire to return to UM-Dearborn in a future semester, a readmission form must be completed and approved by the academic unit in which the student is requesting readmission. Students who are readmitted more than 12 months after deactivation are subject to follow the most current version of the curriculum. Those who are readmitted within 12 months of deactivation will be able to pursue their original curriculum plan.