Credit by Examination

The UM-Dearborn will acknowledge proficiencies gained by students outside the bounds of traditional courses if such proficiency is certified by recognized examinations or departmentally prepared and/or  approved alternatives. The University recognizes two types of such special examinations: 1) standardized examinations prepared and evaluated by nationally recognized organizations; and 2) placement examinations prepared, administered on campus, and evaluated by UM-Dearborn academic departments.

Standardized National Examinations

The Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) are the chief examples in this category. If the relevant academic units and/or the academic departments award credit, the student is responsible for having the test results sent to the institution and the Office of Registration (current students) or the Office of Admissions and Orientation (for incoming students) will be responsible for the recording of the appropriate credit. The student is not charged a fee for such credit.

Individuals desiring recognition of CLEP examinations for credit at the University of Michigan-Dearborn must present official CLEP reports for all exams taken PRIOR to enrollment at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. No credit will be awarded for CLEP examinations taken after the start of a student's first semester/term of enrollment at the University of Michigan-Dearborn.