Smoking on University Premises
In recognition of environmental tobacco smoke health risks, the University intends to provide a smoke free environment for its faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Smoking is prohibited in all University buildings, facilities, grounds, and University-owned vehicles, as they are considered property of the University and under the authority of the Board of Regents of the University, except as indicated below.
- Smoking in University facilities will be permitted for controlled research, educational, theatrical, or religious ceremonial purposes, with prior approval of the Dean or Director responsible for the facility.
- Smoking in privately-owned vehicles and on sidewalks adjacent to public thoroughfares is not prohibited.
- The sale of tobacco products is prohibited in all University buildings, facilities and grounds under the authority of the Board of Regents of the University.
- Assistance with smoking cessation for faculty and staff is available through MHealthy at www.hr.umich.edu/mhealthy/programs/tobacco which includes information about the UM Tobacco Consultation Service, current health plan offerings and available on-line programs. Students can receive assistance through the University Health Service and the Tobacco Consultation Service.
The success of this policy depends upon the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of smokers and non-smokers. All faculty, staff, students, and visitors share the responsibility for adhering to and enforcing the policy. Any concern should be brought to the attention of the individuals responsible for the operation of the University facility in question and/or the Supervisor responsible for the work area. Any exceptions to this Standard Practice Guide must be approved by the appropriate executive officer or designated representative.
This policy was reviewed in September 2015. No changes were made.