Posting and Handbill Distribution
The posting of any information or advertisement and distribution of handbills (fliers) is governed not only by the below policy but also by all other applicable University Policies and Procedures:
- The Posting Approval Log must be completed and signed by a representative of the organization or person responsible for the posted material.
- All posted literature must be "approved for posting" and officially stamped with a removal date on the lower left hand or right hand corner by a staff member of the Student Activities Office (SAO). Approved literature may be posted for a maximum of thirty days. Extensions to the thirty day maximum posting period may be granted by SAO in extenuating circumstances.
- The indiscriminate distribution (littering) of handbills (fliers) on the UM-Dearborn campus is strictly prohibited. Offending parties may have their personal and/or organizational rights to distribute handbills (fliers) on campus revoked and/or may be re-billed for inordinate custodial or plant maintenance cost.
- Material must be posted on designated Campus News & Activities bulletin boards, tack stripping and kiosk structures only. Posting on University walls, windows, doors, lighting polls, floors, telephones, restroom facilities, sidewalks, roadways, parking lots, plants or any vehicle on University property is strictly forbidden.
- Chalking of University property is prohibited.
- Fliers or posters partially or fully covering pre-approved material or Campus News & Activities signs will be removed.
- Standard staples, thumb tacks and pushpins are the only acceptable methods of affixing posted materials to bulletin boards.
- Individuals and organizations are limited to posting one (1) flyer not to exceed 8-1/2" x 14" inches, or one (1) sign not to exceed 18" x 24" inches per designated bulletin board, except where specified. Individuals or organizations may post four (4) fliers or two (2) signs of the above noted dimensions on the tack stripping in the University Mall. Fliers or posters with different formats or graphics which essentially provide the same basic advertisement information, are considered the same and subject to the above noted one per bulletin board provision.
- Campus News & Activities bulletin boards may not be covered, amended or cleared without the express permission of SAO.
- One banner, not to exceed 4' x 8' with official approval, may be posted on the University Center posting area for a period not to exceed twenty-one (21) days and must be appropriately hung as not to result in an obstruction or a fire hazard.
- Banners used for commercial business gain or commercial advertisement are prohibited from posting.
- Banners advertising events of an ongoing nature or events not primarily sponsored by a recognized entity from within the UM-Dearborn community are prohibited from posting.
- The posting representative assumes responsibility for posting banners properly and removing all banners on the date stamped.
- The content of the posters and signs is the direct responsibility of the posting individual and/or organization Persons posting information written in a non-English language must provide an exact English translation for SAO records.
- The SAO retains the right to refuse the approval of material that is not in keeping with University policy or procedure.
- Failure to adhere to the above Posting and Handbill Distribution Policy may result in disciplinary action under applicable University of Michigan-Dearborn policies and procedures and/or applicable civil statutes.
Advisory: The Rock Painting Policy as codified in the Student Clubs and Organizations Information and Policy Manual governs painting on the rock outside the northwest entrance of the University Center.