Special Cases

Second Master's Degree

Admission to a master’s degree program in the same field of specialization and at the same level as one previously completed is possible only if the previous degree program was of substantially different character or was not accredited.

Change of Program

A change in program generally requires full consideration by the new program’s admissions committee. If a student has not enrolled yet, the change of program request can be handled through the Graduate Admissions Office. If a current student wants to change after having enrolled under a different program, a Graduate Change of Degree Program or Concentration Form should be completed.The student should contact the new program of interest for information about any supporting materials that may be needed. International students must supply documentation of additional funding if a change of program will result in the issue of new immigration documents.

Change of Degree Level Within a Field

To change from non-degree status (NCFD) to degree status within the same field of specialization, a student must submit a regular admission application. An international student must supply documentation of additional funding if a change of degree status will result in an extension of the expected study period.


Most students who have not been enrolled in a master’s program for one year (12 months) must apply for readmission. Readmission is dependent upon program approval and availability of space and facilities for the term in which readmission is requested. Before readmission can be finalized for international students, proof of adequate funding is required in order to obtain the appropriate visa documents.

If a student withdrew for health reasons, readmission may be subject to satisfactory evidence that the condition has been remedied. If a student was on Conditional Admission, Academic Probation, or Extended Probation, that standing will continue if he or she is readmitted, unless approval to remove or modify the status is granted. If a student was Required to Withdraw, readmission may be granted only following approval by the program.

Post-Degree Program Admission

The College of Education, Health, and Human Services and the College of Engineering and Computer Science offer post-baccalaureate programs. Please refer to the College of Education, Health, and Human Services or the College of Engineering and Computer Science section of this Catalog for a list of available post-degree programs offered. Prospective students should contact the program office directly for information regarding admission materials needed.