Financial Aid & Scholarships

Office of Financial Aid
4901 Evergreen Road
1183 University Center
Dearborn MI 48128
313-593-5313 [FAX]
Federal Title IV School Code: 002326

The goal of the University of Michigan-Dearborn is that no qualified student be denied an education due to lack of the necessary funds. To meet this goal, the university maintains programs of grants, scholarships, loans and part-time employment for eligible students who are accepted and enrolled in the university as a degree-seeking student in good standing.

Financial Assistance Available

Financial aid for graduate students consists of the following types of assistance: gift aid (scholarships, fellowships and other grants-in-aid from private sources), loans, and employment. Graduate students should contact their department for possible stipends or fellowships and will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for financial assistance by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships (OFAS).

Determining Eligibility

With the exception of some scholarships, most financial assistance awarded by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships is based upon financial need as determined by a careful review of the resources of the student and the student's family.

Need for financial aid is determined by the following calculation:

Cost of Attendance Budget (COA) - Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Aid Eligibility (Need)

To determine the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the calculation formula used is the Federal Methodology as mandated by the U.S. Congress. By completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the student’s family contribution is calculated and reported on the Student Aid Report (SAR) which is emailed or mailed to the student’s home by the federal processor.

Note: Most foreign citizens are not eligible for federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education. There are, however, some instances in which noncitizens may be eligible for financial aid from the U.S. federal government. To learn more, visit:

Application for Financial Aid

Most assistance is committed at a certain time of the year, so be mindful of application dates.

To apply:

  1. Request an FSA ID from the U.S. Department of Education. FSA ID’s may be obtained at This ID will be used as the “electronic signature” when the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is submitted online. The FSA ID may also be used to access the Student Aid Report (SAR), to make application corrections, to complete a renewal FAFSA in future years, to access Direct Loan account information online via
  2. Complete the FAFSA using the University of Michigan-Dearborn’s federal school code number: 002326. Students are encouraged to submit the FAFSA online at (using the FSA ID indicated in step 1 above). It is recommended that you print your application and Confirmation Page for your records.

To complete the FAFSA, students will need to use the appropriate Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) and will need to release the FAFSA information to the University of Michigan-Dearborn by entering our Federal Title IV School Code 002326).

Priority consideration for funds will be given to students who complete their FAFSA early in the processing cycle for the chosen academic year.

Continuing Students

The FAFSA is year specific. Therefore, in order to continue to be considered by financial aid, students must reapply for financial aid each academic year.


  1. Applications are processed only after a student has been admitted, but students need not wait until they are admitted to apply for financial aid.
  2. Applications submitted after the stated priority dates will be considered, subject to the availability of funds, but notification may not come until after the term has begun.
  3. Students must reapply for financial aid each academic year
  4. Applications must be received prior to or while the student is enrolled at-least-half-time to allow processing time.
  5. Students must enroll at least half time to be eligible for disbursement of financial aid funds (for the term). See below for definitions:
    Graduate Credit Hours
    8 or more credit hoursFull Time
    6-7 credit hours3/4 Time
    4-5 credit hoursHalf Time
  6. All correspondence and documents must include the student’s legal name and University of Michigan Identification number (UMID).

Graduate Fellowship, Teaching or Research Assistantship Support

Recipients of these awards must be appointed or nominated by a member of the academic department in which the applicant is enrolled. The number of awards varies annually, as do the award amounts.

UM-Dearborn Current Student Scholarship Program (for Graduate Students)

The scholarships in the Current Student Scholarship Program are made available through the generous gifts of private donors and alumni of UM-Dearborn. In 2015-2016, the value of these scholarships ranged from $500 to $2,800.

Students who have completed a minimum of 6 credit hours as a Graduate student at UM-Dearborn can apply for several university scholarships at one time using the University of Michigan-Dearborn Current Student Scholarship Application Portal. This application becomes available each December with most scholarships having a deadline of March 1st for the following academic year.

There are a number of different scholarships that graduate students may qualify for through this annual process. Scholarship descriptions as well as the application can be found on the following Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships website:

Additional opportunities for scholarship funding may be available from other sources and would require a separate application. See the following list and/or check with your academic unit for additional scholarship information.

City Year Detroit Alumni Scholarships

The University of Michigan-Dearborn salutes City Year Detroit Program participants for their service and metropolitan impact. The University of Michigan-Dearborn will award at least 2 two-year scholarships to students who successfully complete the City Year Detroit experience. Up to $5,350 is available each year, up to two years (four semesters). This scholarship is a match scholarship, awarded during every academic year period (September through August; Fall/Winter/Summer semesters). Graduate students are eligible for consideration. 

To be considered for a City Year Alumni Scholarship, the student must provide City Year documentation (signed City Year Certificate of Graduation) to the Director of Admissions and Orientation (1145 University Center) after admission. The Office of Admissions and Orientation will make the scholarship offer and notify the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to place the scholarship on the student's account.

Community Service Personnel Scholarships 

The University of Michigan-Dearborn provides a scholarship valued at 20% of tuition and fees for public safety employees at partnering organizations.  The scholarship is available for degree-seeking students and can be used for undergraduate and graduate programs. For more information, visit:

Center for the Education of Women Scholarships

The CEW Scholarship Program for returning women students was established in 1970 to honor the academic performance and potential of women whose education has been interrupted and to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the admission of women to the University of Michigan. Thanks to the generosity of individuals and foundations, CEW has awarded over 1600 scholarships since 1970. CEW Scholarship Awards are invaluable, since they often mean the difference between completing a degree or not doing so for many students at the University of Michigan. Due to the generosity of donors, CEW was able to expand the program in 2008 to include additional scholarships for male and female students on the Ann Arbor campus.

Approximately 40 Scholarships are awarded annually ranging from about $1,000 to $10,000, with some larger scholarship awards given. For more information, visit:

King-Chavez-Parks Future Faculty Program

The King-Chavez-Parks Future Faculty Fellowship Program is funded by the State of Michigan and is intended to increase the pool of traditionally underrepresented candidates pursuing faculty teaching careers in postsecondary education. Preference may not be given to applicants on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, gender, or national origin. Applications are encouraged from minorities, women, people with disabilities, and individuals from cultural, linguistic, geographic, and socio-economic backgrounds who would otherwise not adequately be represented in the graduate student and faculty populations. The amount of the KCP Future Faculty Fellowship Award will depend on the student’s financial needs. The maximum available award for master’s students is $20,000 and for doctoral students is $35,000. These amounts may be distributed over a two-and-a-half year period for Masters Fellows and over a four to six year period for Doctoral Fellows. For more information, visit:

TEACH Grant (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education)

The TEACH Grant provides assistance of up to $3,760 each year to students whose intention is to teach in a "high need field (subject matter)" and intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low income families.  Unlike most need-based grant programs, the TEACH Grant is available to graduate students as well as undergraduates.

As a recipient, students agree to teach a "high need field", full-time and for a minimum of four years within eight years following program completion.  The TEACH Grant will remain a grant if recipients meet the specific criteria.  If recipients do not meet the criteria, the TEACH Grant converts to an unsubsidized loan with interest calculated to the initial disbursement date(s).

In addition to completing the FAFSA, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen and be enrolled in coursework necessary to begin a career in teaching. The University of Michigan-Dearborn currently considers students who are of senior status as an undergraduate or graduate students with a high cumulative grade point average and admitted into a degree granting program of the College of Education, Health, and Human Services and pursuing majors that fulfill the "high need fields" requirement.

The cumulative grade point average requirement for the TEACH Grant 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale) for undergraduate and graduates students. The degree programs currently considered are:  Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts, Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science. Eligible majors at UM-Dearborn are: Education, General Science, Mathematics, Mathematics Studies, Reading, Science Education, Science Studies, Special Education and Teaching.

High need fields are currently defined as: Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Reading Specialist, Science, Special Education and other programs as they are identified by the U.S. Dept. of Education.

For additional information on the TEACH Grant, please visit this FAQ.

Federal Loans

Eligibility for the following Federal loan programs are determined according to demonstration of need (based on the outcome of the FAFSA), availability of funds and also individual, annual and aggregate borrowing parameters. Eligibility requires adherence to Federal fund criteria, maintenance of the University’s Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines and at minimum enrollment on an at-least-half-time basis. Requirements are subject to change over time. Additional documents may be required (e.g., Promissory Notes and/or Entrance Counseling) prior to disbursement of funds.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

There are two types of Federal Direct Loans available to graduate students: the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan and the Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate and Professional Degree Students. Federal Direct loans are available to graduate and professional students who meet federal eligibility criteria. Borrowers must maintain at least half-time enrollment throughout the loan period.

Graduate Credit Hours

8 or more credit hoursFull Time
6-7 credit hours3/4 Time
4-5 credit hoursHalf Time
4 or less credit hoursLess than Half Time

The annual maximum amount a graduate student may borrow in Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan funding is $20,500 per academic year. The program aggregate allowed for graduate or professional study is $138,500 (which includes any Federal Direct loans at the undergraduate level). The interest rate is set at a fixed rate determined by the date of first disbursement. In addition, there is a small Origination Fee, which is deducted from the gross proceeds of the loan. Interested borrowers may apply by submitting a FAFSA and accepting any loan funds offered by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Borrowers are assessed a fixed interest rate:
First disbursement between 7/1/06—6/30/13, 6.80%;
First disbursement between 7/1/13—6/30/14, 5.41%;
First disbursement between 7/1/14—6/30/15, 6.21%;
First disbursement between 7/1/15 —6/30/16,5.84%.

For additional information, contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships or visit the following website:

Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate and Professional Degree Students

The second type of Federal Direct Loan available to graduate and professional students is the Graduate PLUS Loan. The terms and conditions of the Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan are similar to those of a Parent PLUS Loan, (including the requirement that the applicant does not have an adverse credit history). Applicants are required to complete the FAFSA.

The amount an applicant may borrow is determined by calculating their cost of attendance minus other financial aid. They also must have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the Unsubsidized Loan Program before applying for a Graduate/Professional PLUS loan. 

Borrowers are assessed a fixed interest rate:
First disbursement between 7/1/06—6/30/13, 7.90%
First disbursement between 7/1/13—6/30/14, 6.41%
First disbursement between 7/1/14—6/30/15, 7.21%
First disbursement between 7/1/15—6/30/16, 6.84%

For additional information, contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships or visit the following website:

Alternative or Private Loans

Alternative and Private loans are non-federal educational loans normally provided by private lenders who require a credit evaluation before approval. Alternative loans are funded strictly through private sources and receive no funding from the Federal government.

Alternative loans can provide important supplemental or even primary funding for students. However, it is also important to remember that an informed consumer may be able to reduce the amount of interest and fees paid through a careful matching of loan product and student needs.

Additional information about Alternative or Private loans may be found at:

Federal Work-Study Program

Federal Work-Study is a Title IV program offering part-time work for students who demonstrate financial need. Students work up to 25 hours per week during the regular semester, depending upon the student’s financial need, availability of federal funds and the student’s class schedule. Seven percent of the school’s annual Federal Work-Study allocation will be used to fund community service jobs. For more information please visit:

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is funded by UM-Dearborn. There are many part-time and temporary jobs available in the academic departments and in the support offices. Eligibility for Federal financial aid funds is not a factor for University employment. Students may contact the Office of Career Services to inquire about job availability. The departments pay 100 percent of these wages. To locate an on-campus job, visit:

Other Sources of Financial Aid

Other sources of financial assistance are available through governmental agencies such as Vocational Rehabilitation, Veterans Assistance, and Social Security. Students needing information on these programs should contact the nearest appropriate agency.

Assistance for educational expenses may also come in the form of tax allowances. The Internal Revenue Service publishes Publication 970. Publication 970 provides information on educational benefits allowed within the tax code. Publication 970 may be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service or viewed online at:

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulation requires educational institutions that participate in federal financial aid programs to define and enforce Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards for students receiving financial aid. UM-Dearborn's Satisfactory Academic Progress policy establishes standards of progress toward a degree. Recipients must achieve and maintain these standards of progress in order to receive funding from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships (OFAS). These standards are imposed on all federal and state programs, as well as programs supported by UM-Dearborn's General Fund and awarded through the OFAS.

The standards of academic progress measure a student’s academic program both qualitatively and quantitatively. These measurements include a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) requirement, a Cumulative Completion Rate requirement and a Maximum Timeframe requirement. In addition, certain types of courses are limited or excluded from eligibility. The standards apply to all federal financial aid programs and programs funded and administered by the University of Michigan-Dearborn Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships and include degree, (teaching) certificate and consortium guest students who receive financial aid.

SAP is evaluated at the end of each term (Fall, Winter, and Summer). Federal regulations require the University of Michigan-Dearborn to evaluate all students for SAP regardless of whether or not they receive financial aid. SAP is evaluated based on the student’s cumulative academic record, from the date of entry to the university. Students at UM-Dearborn are not required to attend full time in order to receive financial aid or achieve satisfactory academic progress. The complete policy may be found at:

Return of Title IV Funds

Students receiving financial aid have the responsibility to follow the college's withdrawal procedures as outlined in the University of Michigan-Dearborn catalog. The Higher Education Act requires the college to calculate a Return to Title IV funds on all federal financial aid students who withdraw (officially or unofficially) from all classes. A schedule is used to determine the percentage of the semester the student attended based on the withdrawal date/last date of attendance. The percentage of the semester the student attended is calculated as follows:

Number of days in attendance ÷ Number of days in semester

The number of days counted includes all calendar days in the Payment Period including weekends and holidays, but excludes college breaks of five or more days. The percentage of the semester the student attended is used to calculate the amount of the student's earned versus unearned federal aid funds. The unearned portion of federal aid funds received must be returned to the appropriate aid program in accordance with the order of return as mandated by law. The order of return is: Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Student Loan; Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Student Loan; Federal Direct PLUS Loan; Federal Pell Grant; Federal SEOG Grant; other Title IV aid. The college is responsible for returning the lesser of unearned Title IV aid or unearned institutional charges. Unearned institutional charges are based on the percentage of the semester the student did not attend. The college is responsible for its return of funds first, followed by the student's return of funds. The student is responsible for returning:

Amount of unearned Title IV Aid - Amount of aid school returns = Amount Student Returns

If the student did not receive all of the funds that they earned according to the calculation, they may be due a post-withdraw disbursement. If the post withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, the University must get authorization from the student within 14 days before it can disburse the funds. A University may automatically apply all or a portion of the post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds to an outstanding balance on tuition and fees.

The University must return its portion of unearned Title IV aid (loan and grant) to the appropriate federal program within 45 days of the student's withdrawal date as determined by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. If the amount the student returns includes a federal loan program, the student is responsible for repayment of the loan in accordance with the terms of the loan program. If the amount the student returns includes grant aid, the student must repay 50% of the grant money received, rather than 100%. The student must return unearned grant aid to the college within 30 days from the date of notification to avoid late fee assessments. Students who are
reported to U.S. Department of Education (ED) by another institution for an Overpayment Status should contact the ED to make payment arrangements to repay the necessary grant funds.

Non-Attendance in Courses

Students who stop attending the University of Michigan-Dearborn may not receive further financial aid disbursements, may lose some or all of the aid that has already been disbursed to their account, may be responsible for repayment of unpaid charges, and may be considered in overpayment status with ED. Students who stop attending all classes without officially withdrawing from the college will be subject to a Return to Title IV Funds calculation at the end of the semester, based on their last date of attendance as determined by faculty.

If it is determined that a student has never attended a course(s), a reduction of some or all financial aid may be necessary. At the time the Office determines a non-successful grade, faculty will be contacted to confirm a last date of educational activity. A non-response from faculty requires the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to assume the student has never attended course(s).

Student Consumer Rights and Responsibilities

Section 493.A of the Higher Education Act requires post-secondary educational institutions to disseminate relevant, candid information on student financial aid programs available at the college. These rights and responsibilities may be found in the U.S. Department of Education (ED) publication entitled Funding Your Education: The Guide to Federal Student Aid. This guide is available online at Any change in a student’s financial situation, address, or school enrollment must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. Students have the right to request a review of their financial aid package when a change in family or personal circumstances occurs. Students also have a right to review their financial aid records and may do so during counseling hours.

Information Dissemination and Report Disclosure

The U.S. Department of Education requires UM-Dearborn to disseminate information and disclose certain information to students. This information includes, but is not limited to: Voter Registration; Equity in Athletics; Campus Crime and Security; Completion and Transfer-Out Rates; and Drug and Alcohol-Free Campus policies. For further information on the listed topics, please refer to the University website at: