Graduate STEM² Teaching Certificate
The Graduate Certificate of STEM2 Teaching is designed to enhance students’ content knowledge in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine, to use best pedagogical practices for teaching K-12 STEM2 lessons, and to successfully integrate the STEM2 disciplines into lessons and units.
While the Graduate Certificate of STEM2 Teaching is a ‘stand alone’ certificate that does not lead to a state endorsement, it creates an opportunity for graduate students to learn about STEM2 for those who teach in schools, work in other areas of education such as museums, or provide outreach to K-12 students.
Holders of the certificate may become leaders in their schools or school districts in adopting STEM2 programs or may serve as a resource for other teachers who wish to integrate STEM2 activities into the curricula.
The UM-Dearborn certificate requires students to elect 12-13 hours of graduate level credits. Students will have several options depending on their science and mathematics background.
Students must complete the certificate program within three years, from the date of first enrollment.
All applicants must submit evidence of each of the following to the Office of Student Success along with a completed Post-Degree Application Form found at:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree at an accredited institution.
- A 3.0 or higher grade point average (GPA is based on a 4.0).
- An official transcript from college or university granting the undergraduate degree and one from each college or university attended.
- Submit a completed Post-Degree Application Form and non-refundable $30.00 application fee (payable by check or money order to University of Michigan-Dearborn). This fee is waived for applicants who have previously paid an application fee to any University of Michigan campus.
Minimum Grade Point
- Completion of the required coursework with a GPA of at least 3.0
For more information, call 313-593-5090 or visit: umdearborn.edu/cehhs/grad-stemm-cert/
|EXPS 500||STEM2 Teaching and Learning||3|
|Select one Natural Sciences course:||3|
|Adv Learning Inquiry: Phys Sci|
|Adv Inquiry: Earth/Planet Sci|
|Adv Inquiry: Life Science|
or other graduate level Natural Sciences course
|Select one Mathematics course:||3|
|Number & Prop'l Rsng for Tchrs|
|Discrete Math/Modeling for Tch|
|Concepts of Calc for Teachers|
|Select one credit from a Teacher Academy: PdEd 518 Integrating Engineering Topics||1|
|Select one Health course:||2-3|
|Hlth, Nutr, & PE/Clsrm Tchrs|
|Health Behavior & Health Educ|
|Total Credit Hours||12-13|
Transfer of Credit
A student may transfer in up to six (6) credit hours of graduate credit from the University of Michigan-Dearborn or another accredited institution provided the credits have not previously been applied to another degree or certificate. Credit hours transferred from other institutions must be taken within 5 years before enrollment with a grade of B or better.