Guest/Non-Candidate for Degree

Guest Students

Students currently enrolled in a graduate degree-seeking program at another university may request permission to enroll in graduate courses at the University of Michigan-Dearborn as a guest student. Master’s level students are permitted to enroll for a maximum of 6 semester hours of credit and doctoral level students are permitted to enroll for a maximum of 9 semester hours of credit as a guest student at UM-Dearborn. Guest students register on a space-available basis.

Please note that the University of Michigan-Dearborn participates in the Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Studies (MIGS) program. If the courses you are interested in taking are not available at your home institution, you should consider applying through the MIGS option.

Non-Candidate For Degree (NCFD)

NCFD status enables qualified individuals not in a degree-seeking program to take a maximum of 6 credit hours for graduate credit. NCFD students register on a space-available basis. Courses elected by students under this status cannot be counted toward a degree program until the student receives regular degree-seeking admission and the graduate program advisor determines that the courses are acceptable. Please note: the College of Business on the University of Michigan-Dearborn campus does not offer enrollment under NCFD status.

All guest and NCFD students are:

  • Subject to all UM-Dearborn admission and registration regulations.
  • Admitted for one term only. Additional registration under this status requires a new application each term.
  • Assessed regular UM-Dearborn tuition and related fees for all courses elected.
  • Not eligible for financial aid.
  • Responsible for determining if credit earned as a guest/NCFD student will be accepted by their degree-seeking program of interest if applicable.

All guest/non-candidate for degree applicants must provide the following documentation for admission consideration:

  • A completed guest/NCFD application form.
  • Official transcripts from the students undergraduate degree-granting institution and when applicable, from all other higher education institutions where graduate courses were completed or are in progress.
  • For guest applicants only: Written permission from the students home institution verifying enrollment in a graduate program and granting permission to elect the course(s) at the University of Michigan-Dearborn is required.